Saturday, September 27, 2008

Standing in Awe

What a depressing time to live in America. Our country is looking at financially disasterous times second only to the Great Depression era. The two major-party candidates running for President were somehow chosen to do so, yet most people I know do not want either of them in the Oval Office. And we are still at war.


But I am finding comfort in the most depressing yet most uplifting (for me, at least) book of the Bible: Ecclesiastes. As I think on the politics of our day, I am happily reminded in Ecclesiastes chapter 5, verse 7, that "much dreaming and many words are meaningless. Therefore stand in awe of God." This simple imperative encourages me to rise above my growing disgust and to simply, consistently stand in awe of my good, gracious, wrathful, righteous, and--best of all--coming Lord. As Proverbs 19:21 says, "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."


So if you find yourself depressed about the current political, social, economic, environmental, you-name-it climate, give Ecclesiastes a read. Praise the Lord for his Word, that it is Truth!

No comments: