Friday, October 31, 2008

America: Not Waving but Drowning

Mail-in ballots are to be mailed out by October 31st. If sleep does not overtake me, I am about to fill out my own ballot. However, before I do so, I feel the need to see in writing some of these many, multicolored thoughts that have been flitting in and out of my mind like so many tiny minnows trying to stay alive just long enough to swim around the pond once or twice.

I've been thinking about politics as a whole. This, I've concluded, is dangerous; it can lead to apathy in times like these. At the moment, my weary brain has two things to say on the topic. The first:

Being so very close to Election Day, just about every television ad is a political one. Every radio ad, every email forward, every Facebook group invitation...I can't seem to catch my breath, there are so many! Since I am a Christian, of course quite a bit of what I read or pay attention to is from the conservative perspective. But: I am continually disappointed in the lemming-like following of Evangelicals behind the McCain/Palin ticket. Since when did the words "evangelical" and "Republican" become synonymous? It's utterly shaming (though I'm no big Obama fan either, mind you). I've read several blogs that share this frustration, and I believe the majority of true believers are in the same, unpleasant boat that I am. (At least, I hope they are...!)

So disgust and frustration among all the political media-madness remain prevelant. Today I hit repeat on the song "O Praise Him" (David Crowder Band)--I must have listened to it twenty times at least--just to push out the clamor and desparately remember that all is for the glory of God alone. I think that merits repeating: All is for the glory of God alone. The song reminded me to

turn [my] ear
to Heaven and hear
the noise inside:
the sound of angels' awe,
the sound of angels' song,
and all this for a King;
We could join and sing,
"All for Christ our King!"

Now how on earth does my eternal citizenship in Heaven translate into a decision regarding which bubble I mark on this one all-too-earthly ballot in 2008? I may as well be asking how God's will is effected on a daily basis; it's essentially the same question, after all, and shall therefore go unanswered at the moment. Many words are meaningless...stand in awe of God... So I ask in place of my question, Psalm 8:4: "What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?"

* * *
I shall move on to a slightly different topic. A broader one. It suddenly occurred to me this evening that this democracy/ republic/ voting thing we've got going in America is a lot like the Old Testament law. SO many people believe that democracy is salvation--vote in the right candidate, and our nation's problems will be fixed; vote to "spread the wealth," and national peace and happiness will result; vote to ban abortions, and the angry, "anti-Democrat" God will be appeased for another four years.

What?

We CANNOT impart life to our nation through laws! Salvation comes from God alone, for His glory alone.

Here is where I mention that I am no Bible scholar, nor do I know how problematic it may be to look at things this way (do please tell me, if you yourself are a scholar, that is), but consider Galatians 3 (or all of Galatians, really...and Romans for that matter):

1You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? 4Have you suffered so much for nothing—if it really was for nothing? 5Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?


Is that too harsh? Hmm....Well, it wasn't for Paul, that's for sure... The Apostle goes on to say that the law served its purpose by pointing people to the need for Christ:

22But the Scripture declares that the whole world is a prisoner of sin, so that what was promised, being given through faith in Jesus Christ, might be given to those who believe. 23Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

So, I suppose, in conclusion, I merely have this to say:

Our political system is imperfect; it WILL fail--if it hasn't already, then it will oh-so-soon, surely. However, like the Old Testament law, that imperfection should serve to point us all to the need for the TRULY perfect. 2 Corinthians 4 is a great passage. Though we cannot hope to suffer nearly as much for the cause of Christ as Paul did, we hold this to be true:

16Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. 17For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 18So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

America doesn't need McCain or Obama. It needs Christ, and--thankfully--He's much too big to fit only in the Oval Office. But He fits in my heart, and in the hearts of my fellow citizens. And in changing hearts, He will be changing what's wrong with America, and the world. DO vote, and vote your conscience. But please see beyond that vote, this election. And cry with all the fervor of a political rally: "Come, Lord Jesus, come!"

No comments: