Monday, November 12, 2007

Pearl of Wisdom

A couple of months ago, what occupied my time and thoughts the most was feeding my daughter. I still cannot get over the way she will cry rivers of tears when she is hungry, even though I may be holding her only inches away, waiting with her milk, wanting her to just open her eyes and see, to receive the good gift I have for her. We, too, are like this with the many gifts God has for us as well; if we would simply open our eyes and expect God's (many!) good gifts, we would see how foolish and needless are our tears. This parallel is certain.

However, it was this image of my daughter that came flashing back into my mind when, yesterday, some friends were discussing the topic of wisdom. One person commented that we are to go to God asking for wisdom as a child would. YES, I thought, not only as a child, but as a newborn, screaming not out of fear that we won't receive it but out of sheer craving for it, knowing we cannot be consoled with anything less than God's good, priceless, perfect gift of true wisdom. Indeed, Solomon himself found nothing better under the sun.

Nevertheless, I must admit that I am guilty of often picturing God tapping me with his "magic wand," endowing me with this wisdom rather suddenly. But the truth is that we have to work at it most (if not all) of the time. Just as a babe must learn to suckle correctly, working his jaw and tongue in rhythmic motion, so we must discipline ourselves to read God's Word, to search it, and to hide it in our hearts. His Word is the wisdom we long for, the pearl of great price, and woe to us when we take it for granted or neglect it in favor of the magic wand theory.

We are told in Proverbs 2:1-6:
My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,
and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,
and if you look for it as for silver
and search for it as for hidden treasure,
then you will understand the fear of the LORD
and find the knowledge of God.
For the LORD gives wisdom,
and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding.

Am I worthy of this good gift? No. But as I am sanctified day by day, I desire it all the more, and I would think that God expects at least that, if we call ourselves His disciples. May we trust Him to BE who His Word says He is! "To God belong wisdom and power; counsel and understanding are his." Job 12:13 Amen.

No comments: