Friday, July 08, 2005

Kinship

A kindred spirit whom I've not had the pleasure of chatting with for almost a year asked me today if I have been writing much of late. Sadly, my answer was "not really." Poetry was something I never thought I could do without, which leads me to believe that in its absence my Soul has been withering from the inside out, unbeknowst to my rather regimented Mind. ...They've not been such good friends over the past year, being separated by a teacher's chores and a wife's duties; nothing but work to dwell on, it seems. But, ah, summer vacation...a time to rejoin the old comrades and celebrate with a tip of the inkwell. Their kinship has already done me much good as I've lately discovered a rebirth of joy in reading the Holy Scriptures--the poetry of Truth! How awful and beautiful at the same time: Words that are living and active, sharper than any double-edged sword...dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow...judging the thoughts and attitudes of my heart! I shudder at the holy power of the Lord who speaks these words to me and am compelled to honor Him by seeking holiness myself. It is my prayer that He will be honored by my words--as I am humbled by His.

No comments: